112 SW Arch Street
exhibits focusing on Abraham Lincoln, Rt. 66, and other aspects of Atlanta's history are featured in the newly renovated home of the Atlanta Museum. The Museum's Local History Resource Center provides extensive genealogy materials accessible to the public. Housed in a beautifully restored 1867 building, the Atlanta Museum presents both permanent and new, rotating exhibits.
Abe Lincoln Long Nine Museum
200 S. Main Street
his building was built in 1832 by Colonel Matthew Rogers, and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Abraham Lincoln visited this building on many occasions during his travels between New Salem and Springfield. Now a museum, it houses audio
narrated diorama about Lincoln’s connection to Athens, so viewers bring history to life with the touch of a button!
101 West Third Street
Built in 1844, The Lincoln Courthous is where Abraham Lincoln argued many cases. The museum features an extensive collection of antique firearms and Indian arrowheads.
Bryant Cottage State Historic Site
146 East Wilson Street
Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas met at this very site to discuss the famous Lincoln-Douglas debates in 1858. The cottage is decorated with period furnishings throughout each of the rooms.
BLOOMINGTON / NORMAL
David Davis Mansion State Historic Site
1000 E. Monroe Street
Judge David Davis’s estate offers a glimpse into the lives of the wealthy and powerful of its day. Davis helped Abraham Lincoln win the 1860 Presidential nomination; Lincoln appointed Davis to the U.S. Supreme Court. Explore the mansion’s Victorian furnishings and the most modern conveniences of the late 1800’s.
Lincoln-Douglas Debate Museum
126 E Street
Retrace the senatorial debates of 1858 between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas. The museum offers exhibits and interactive displays that tell the debates’ story through film, audio selections, artifacts and photos. The museum also includes a Children’s Hands-On Area and a life-size sculpture of Lincoln and Douglas. Open daily.
C.H. Moore Homestead
219 East Woodlawn
In August 1841, C. H. Moore became the first resident lawyer in Clinton, and he became friends with Abraham Lincoln when he was riding the circuit through Dewitt County. When he purchased this Homestead, Moore added the west wing containing a two-story library, mainly because he needed a place to house his vast
collection of books and newspapers.
116 North Gilbert
Victorian Mansion on National Historic Register. Abe Lincoln stayed with his friend, Dr. Wm. Fithian and gave a speech from the balcony in 1858. Furniture, treasures, documents of yore. Lincoln related artifacts, exhibits and a life-size bronze statue are awaiting for guests to explore.
217-442-2922 or 800-383-4386
Macon County History Museum and Prairie Village
5580 N. Fork Road
Featured are an 1860’s one-room schoolhouse, 1850’s log cabin, and Macon County’s first courthouse where Lincoln practiced law.
Voices of Jacksonville Audio Tour
Follow in the footsteps of Lincoln in Jacksonville. See the actual places and hear the real stories of Lincoln as his friends and associates knew him while Looking For Lincoln in Jacksonville. These creative history stories are professionally recorded and interesting for visitors of all ages.
Lincoln Heritage Trail State Monument
Illinois Rte. 33 in Westport
Beginning in the heart of the Wabash Valley in Westport Illinois, just across from Vincennes Indiana, where a monument commemorates the Lincoln family's move from Indiana to Illinois in 1830.
Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site
402 S. Lincoln Highway Road
An 86-acre historic site includes an accurate reproduction of the Lincolns' two-room cabin that was constructed on the original cabin site in 1935. A working living history farm has been developed around the cabin, and a second farmstead, the Stephen Sargent Farm, has been moved to the site to help broaden visitors' understanding of 1840s rural life in Illinois.
The Christening Scene
Broadway and Chicago Street Area
On August 27, 1853, the first lots were sold in the new town of Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln took a watermelon, broke it open and with its juice christened the new community.
Lincoln Heritage Museum at Lincoln College
300 Keokuk Street
This Museum contains a remarkable collection of Lincoln related artifacts and documents including gifts of the Beckwith family. Robert Todd Lincoln Beckwith, the last living descendant of Lincoln donated a number of articles belonging to Mary Lincoln – china, books and mourning clothing. Hundreds of documents relating to Lincoln can also be found at the museum including the original Lincoln town charter drawn up by him, a legal document signed with an “x” by his father and an invitation to the 1865 inaugural ball. In addition, there is correspondence from Lincoln, nearly every member of his cabinet and military leaders during the Civil War.
217-732-3155, Ext. 295
Postville Courthouse State Historic Site
914 Fifth Street
A reproduction of the first Logan County Courthouse in use from 1840 to 1847. Abraham Lincoln served here as a lawyer on the Eighth Judicial Circuit.
Museum of the Grand Prairie
North Route 47
An extensive collection interpreting 19th and early 20th century life in east-central Illinois. Two floors of exhibits present architecture, trades and occupations, decorative arts, and childhood and domestic life of the time. The Discovery Room offers hands-on opportunities for children to interact and learn about the residents of the Grand Prairie. Educational programs are offered for all ages throughout the year. Permanent exhibits include Champaign County’s Lincoln Exhibit.
Clark County Museum
502 South 4th Street
The Manly - McCann House, built in 1838, is now the Clark County Museum. Uri Manley was a learned lawyer from Kentucky who came to Illinois in 1837. He was appointed as the first postmaster of Marshall in 1838 and had an office in this home. Today, the museum houses information on the Lincoln/Douglas debates, unique county architecture and more.
204 S. Madison
was located on the stage coach Route 541 between Springfield and Peoria. It is now located 2 blocks from its original site. It is believed that Abraham Lincoln stayed at the Inn. Lincoln did survey the site during his surveying years in Logan County.
Where Abraham Lincoln once served as a lawyer on the 8th Judicial Circuit.
Mount Pulaski Courthouse State Historic Site
City Square, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it served as the county courthouse from 1847 to 1853. One of two remaining courthouses on the Eighth Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln.
Historical Society Museum and Welcome Center
Located across the street from the courthouse, features military artifacts, memorabilia from past businesses and families. Lincoln section houses a period buggy and wooden vane from one of the original Mt. Pulaski Yankee Windmills.
Historic Landmarks Compound
P.O. Box 84
Dr. Rutherford left an undeniable mark on local, state and national history as a friend of Abraham Lincoln, as a champion of human rights in the Matson slave trial, and as a civic-minded leader in his community. The Landmarks Complex has grown to include several sites of historical significance, including Dr. Rutherford’s home and office, Mail Pouch Barn, Pennsylvania Depot, meeting house and more. Open 10am-2pm on Fridays and Saturdays, April 1 through October 31. Tours also available by appointment.
Rosamond Grove Cemetery
3.5 miles west of Pana, the resting place for Civil War Captain Kitchell and his family. Before his death, Kitchell commissioned artist J. Mulligan to cast a statue of his leader, Abraham Lincoln. This statue, known as “Lincoln the Orator,” now rises 18 feet above the highest point of the moraine, and is the only known depiction of Lincoln with his hand raised. Beneath the statue are two canons, the smaller of which, was named and christened by Lincoln himself as “Mary Lincoln.”
Edgar County Historical Society Complex
408 N. Main
Compare pioneer and Victorian lifestyles when you visit the log cabin and brick Italianate home. View the desk and chair believed to be used by Abraham Lincoln when he visited Paris while traveling his court circuit.
This old cemetery which dates back to the 1800’s, is the resting place of Lincoln’s first sweetheart, Ann Rutledge, along with many former New Salem residents. Rutledge’s tombstone bears an inscription written by Edgar Lee Masters, who is also buried nearby.
Lincoln’s New Salem State Historic Site
15588 History Lane
This wonderful historic site is a reconstruction of the village where Abraham Lincoln spent his early adulthood. Lincoln’s time in New Salem formed a turning point in his career. He was a store clerk, rail splitter, postmaster, surveyor, and businessman. He also enlisted in the Black Hawk War during his time at New Salem, and was elected to the Illinois General Assembly in 1834 and 1836. Come and see for yourself, or take a virtual tour at our website!
Livingston County Courthouse, South Lawn
Stop to take a look at this life
size statue of Abraham Lincoln while you are in town. Designed by sculptor Rick Harney, it is a memorial to the numerous visits Lincoln made to Pontiac between 1840 and 1860.
815-844-5847 or 800-835-2055
401 W. Livingston Street
Built in the 1850’s, this home welcomed Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Among the many connections Pontiac has to Lincoln, one of the most interesting revolves around Lincoln’s friendship with local attorney, Jason W. Strevell. The house is currently being restored by the Livingston County Historical Society.
Shelby County Courthouse
301 East Main Street
Built in 1879-1881, this landmark houses historic paintings, including the Robert Root depiction of the Lincoln-Thornton Debate that took place in Shelbyville and launched Lincoln's national political career. Courtrooms are generally open for viewing when court is not in session.
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library (IL Historical Research Library & Lincoln Collection)
112 North 6th Street
The premier repository for materials relating to the history of Illinois.
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
212 North 6th Street
Enabling visitors to experience the entire Lincoln story for themselves, under one roof- in a modern television control room on Election Night, 1860, the Blue Room of the White House; an Indiana log cabin; Ford’s Theatre; and twin special effects theatres featuring multi-screen, state-of-the-art projection technology that uses twenty-first century advancements to immerse visitors in the nineteenth century.
Camp Butler National Cemeter
5063 Camp Butler Road,
Route 36 East
Once the site of a Union Civil War training camp and Confederate prison, now a cemetery for veterans and their dependents.
History Comes Alive throughout Springfield Sites
From June until August the area brings history alive. Strolling musicians, costumed interpreters, visits with Abraham Lincoln, storytelling and more all take place throughout the summer.
10th and Monroe
Abraham Lincoln boarded the train to Washington, D.C. before his inauguration as president. The Depot now has exhibits and a multimedia presentation.
217-544-8695 or 217-788-1356
Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historical Site
6th and Adams
This building built in 1840, is the only surviving structure in which Abraham Lincoln maintained a law office.
Lincoln Home National Historic Site
8th & Jackson
The only home Abraham Lincoln ever owned. It is now the center of a restored four block area, which includes a visitor’s center.
217-492-4241, Ext. 221
Lincoln Tomb State Historic Site
Oak Ridge Cemetery
Abraham Lincoln, his wife Mary Todd and three of their four sons rest here. The statuary inside the tomb shows Lincoln at different periods in his career.
Old State Capitol State Historic Site
Old State Capitol Plaza
Magnificently restored, with period furnishings of Abraham Lincoln’s last
term in the Illinois House of Representatives.
Lincoln’s Ghost Walk: Legends & Lore
This 90-minute 10 block walking tour uses the Lincoln sites as the backdrop for the strange and bizarre history surrounding Lincoln's life and death. Legends claims Lincoln's restless spirit haunts the White House, the tomb site, and the very streets we walk tonight! This tour is heavy on factual history but includes the known ghostly lore about Lincoln. Suitable for all ages.
Christian County Historical Society Museum
East Route 29
Walk through an 1820s log house, the 1839 Christian County Courthouse (where Lincoln argued cases), an 1854 farmhouse, and an 1856 one-room school. Also, view the antique and military weapon collections, plus much more.
“The Last Stop”
Northwest corner of Taylorville square
This life-size bronze statue celebrates Taylorville’s unique story of Lincoln’s request for a “writ of quietus” to calm squealing village pigs that gathered under the 1839 courthouse during a trial. “The Last Stop” refers to Taylorville’s location on the old 8th Judicial Circuit.
Vandalia Statehouse State Historic Site
315 W. Gallatin
Vandalia served as Illinois’ capital from 1820 to 1839. The oldest surviving capitol building in Illinois, the statehouse was constructed in 1836 and served in that capacity until the capital relocated to Springfield. Abraham Lincoln’s political career began at Vandalia while he was a member of the Illinois House of Representatives.